Sunday, March 28, 2010

Skills unity, diversification, singled-focus, specialization… … arrgh, stop confusing me! (Trust me, you can even feel the chaos in this blog - blur)

I was the fan of Avatar cartoon series (“Avatar the last airbender”, not the latest thriller of “Avatar”). I think it is the best cartoon ever (that is after I quit being a fan of “Naruto” (that is after I quit being a fan of “Bleach” (that is after I quit being a fan of “Fullmetal Alchemist” (… … “Marchen Awaken Romance” (… … “Power Rangers” (… … “Gladion” (… and so on))))))

Unfortunately, I never get to finish any of them, but fortunately, I know it from my classmates lately, the ending of Avatar series. Aang masters all four elements (adept but not expert) and triumph over the Fire Lord, with Super Avatar help. For me, its better that I know the ending than I never do (although I can’t watch it)

Days later, it prompt me into thinking why avatar have mastered all four elements, but still need to struggle hard in the battle with the Fire Lord, who just mastered one elements. Then, I recognize the power of specialization over diversification. But, I know it’s unlikely to specialize in every field, not unless you are special or talented, like genius or … Aang. It’s better to specialize in one subject then, since a single thing is already so time consuming.

Specialization exhibit unimaginable abilities and drawbacks too. I think it was first advocated by Sir Adam Smith. With specialization, you actually grow some camaraderie and unity with the subject you are in. Not only you are so efficient in doing it with little efforts and time, you can use your skill with high precision and effectively. You will know it’s strengths and weaknesses, and even how to manipulate its fullest potential. For instance, a person specialized in drawing can draw a “high definition” painting with whatever he got, within a little time. But, these marvelous utility may seems too good to be true. In fact, it is! Practice makes perfect. You just can’t imagine how many efforts and practices the person has to put in to get the perfection. Every single move is backed by millions or billions or repetitive, monotonous, boring same old trials. Such a torture… … (Unless, you are… … as mentioned… … gifted! You can use shorter time)

As I am saying, avatar Aang does triumph over the Fire Lord isn’t he. So, I guess diversification is good too, to certain extents. You see, Aang have some addition al help, the Super Avatar energy. But I do admit the strength of diversification. It comes with the concept “unity is the strength”. Why? We learn all kinds of things in shallow, but we do know all the things, in general. We can coordinate everything in accordance of the strength and suitability. The effect is still reasonably obvious and effective. But, it is not in the best possible impacts, just like Aang, who use the Super Avatar to enhance the impacts. For instance, a master of ceremony, MC might good in sound system controlling, presentation, entertainments or cooking, but he knows all of them. So, he can organize and coordinate the whole things to be in place, i.e., putting right experts in the right place at the right time. You can’t count on a chef to coordinate the ceremony alone, right. At least, I think the best event a chef can have for entertainment is either cooking demonstration or food fight (just kidding, if you think that it is funny, or just bluffing if you think that my intention is a failure). So, the MC unites all the things into perfection, at least, still running smooth… …

Avatar Aang has succeeded in his quest, using diversification with enhancement. But for me, I still don’t know which is good for me… …

No comments: